Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Production Plan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsgirish

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2006
DE
Hi All,

I needed some information on BOM and "Production Plans' or Manufacturing Plans" as to like
1. What are the different types of Production plans ( if there exists a classification ) ?
1.a How are production plans generally organised ?

2. How are Production plans linked to BOM ( Bill Of Materials) , Is it through the MPS ( Master Production Schedule ) , to be more elaborate if I have the BOM, then how do i link this BOM to the work plan.

3. How do large automotive Cos. manage linking of PDM and BOM systems ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From my experiences (non-automotive), the BOM is a component of the Production or Manufacturing plan. In my experience, the Production Plan is linked to the various phases within the product launch process.

Initial: Identify the key Production personnel to be involved in the launch. This could include people from procurement, Quality, Manufacturing, Service, Manufacturing Engineering, Scheduling, and facilities.

Design: As the design begins, you have activities such as supplier identification/qualification, facilities involvement (where will it be built), manufacturing engineering (how will it be built and likely for how much), and quality

Development: Similar to above with the goals of identifying the initial BOM, build/test equipment to support the development process. Component ISIRs and service plans get established. (Basically everything the complete beauracracy needs to have in order to function) At the end of this phase, anticipated pilot runs could be done using a developed BOM and some partial scheduling. Engineering retains control over procurement and schedule.

Test: Involves product compliance testing, tooling and test equipment qualification and a shakedown of the production processes (capability etc). By this time, the BOM should be ready for release and a schedule should be in place (ramp up).

Launch: Pretty much turning the "switch" to formally released drawings (place them under ECO control), and the Master Production Schedule establishes the work pace.

Regards,

From practical point of view, horizon of planning is main basis for classification:

- Yearly production plans serve for determining capacity demand: decision for investment in equipment and, partly, in manpower are based on this plans

- Monthly production plans are important for purchasing of materials (this is where BOM plays main role). Even in JIT manufacturing purchasing is planned on monthly basis, and is being revised on weekly basis only when critical need occurs.

- Weekly production plans are important for operative planning: manpower distribution, organizinng of shifts. Compliance with monthly BOM must be monitored continually, in order to make urgent modifactions/PO's if it is really necessary.

[sunshine]

In my experiance programme planning can be split into 2 distinct parts. Firstly MPS which predicts demand way in the future ie 12 - 18 months. This is where the BOM is kept and tends to be updated once a week. This can also show the impacts of losing production speed. There is also lower level tactical planning used to mitigate small manufacturing issues and exploit opportunities to meet the dates set by the MPS. I call it low level tinkering.

Hope this helps

Disgirish my take on what you are asking for is a simple overview or Schedule of what is currently in production (Work Order #, Part #, Customer, Order Quantity, Quantity shipped and the Finish dates of the order. I have been working with manufacturing as a consultant for 32 years (10 with the BDC)and what I found out from the manufacturers is keep it simple and make it communicate easily. I am now the General Manager for a company that makes product for the automotive industry. Lead times generally are expedited and deliveries get shuffled (with customer confirmation). I have developed a schedule that I call a Playbook. It is an Excell based spreadsheet that I update every morning. I print it off and give it to my Plant Manager and anyone else that needs to know what is being shipped and when. At a glance I can see my production loading and move orders when necessary (hence the name Playbook). I protect it with a read only password so that anyone can look at what is schedulled from their sales or purchasing desk. Let me know how I can email you and I would be happy to send you the page. All you have to do is start filling it in.

you know Disgrish, on second thought the email would only let in the opportunists so if you set up your spreadsheet as explained above you will pretty well have it. Just delete and add as you ship or schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back