Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProE drawing to PDF files with different paper sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it possible to print a ProE drawing to PDF format with different paper size.

I have an assembly drawing which is on an A2 paper size, sheet 2 in this drawing is the BOM which should be A4 landscape. Could I get one PDF file to show this accurately? Or do I have to make 2 separate PDF files?

BR Bjorn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks like you have to create two separate PDF files. My PDF creation utility is set to print only 'current' sheet, but it automatically adjusts the page size created at 300dpi because of the config option PS_OUTPUT_WITH_PAGESIZE set to 'yes'. If I add another sheet, ProE automatically assumes that you want to use the same format and sheet size, so you manually have to replace the new sheet with a different sheet size.

That being said, when I changed the settings to print 'all' sheets, it created a single PDF file with two sheets...but both sheets are created at the pagesize of whichever sheet is currently displayed in Pro/E.

Recneps

Sandman,
I took a suggested process from a ProE user group website for PDF creation (which didn't work too well) and 'idiot-proofed' it for widespread use. Many people have asked me for it, and it seems to be working fine for them. It is posted on the internet in a knowledgebase article here:
...or if that link doesn't work (seems it was offline this morning), I stuck the .zip file with everything in it on a personal website for download here:
***As this is a personal website, I may have to yank it from the server if my bandwidth is exceeded ($5/month doesn't buy much!).

As for getting a PDF into a drawing, it can be done (why, I am not sure) with some translations. You would need to open the PDF, do either a screen or area capture with a graphics program, and use an image editor capable of exporting as an AutoCAD drawing file (.dxf). Once in .dxf format, the file can be IMPORTed into ProE while in drawing mode. If it is a graph or some other 2D info you absolutely have to put on a drawing, I recommend creating a Symbol so that you can re-use it later. There is a lot of flexibility in the Symbol functionality that allows you to scale, add dymanic text, etc.

Recneps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back