Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProE Piping: How hard is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandman351

Mechanical
Dec 14, 2001
US
The ProE piping module, how hard is it to learn? I'm wondering if it's something I can open up, and dabble in to create hydraulic hoses, hard lines, etc. for our product. Or do I need to attend a full blown training seminar? I'm fairly versed in using ProE, Sheetmetal, solids, etc. so I'm not a ProE virgin. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Pat

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well it depends on the type of piping design you will make. Are you using R2001 with the Spec-Driven Option? or the earlier releases?

Basically they both have the same results, but the Spec-Driven Option allows for faster creation of large scale piping projects.

If you are making "manageable" piping assemblies, always start your new pipe at the assembly level it is to reside in. So now all your reference points will be linked to that assembly level.

In this assembly, create the references for your pipe paths, such as assembly-level datum points for the start, end and all transition pionts of the pipe.

Next you will need to make the Linestocks (standard pipes, hoses...define you pipes well here, this is the real trick), then start building the pipe path using the previously defined reference points.

After you made the pipe paths, then you can add the solid pipe geometry and then the fittings.

Of course it's a bit more than this, but following these logical steps will save you much time.

Steve

Pro/Piping is easy to learn. A few basics like creating the linestock and you're off.the EZ router lets you drag and drop in 3dspace, you can also route to points csys, etc.
As for creating the assemblies you should NOT reference the top level assembly unless you are the 1 and only person working on the assembly. Create skeletons and use those to route in. has tips and training for this as well as a best practices document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back