Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Professional ID Card...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveVikingPE

Structural
Aug 9, 2001
US
I just opened a letter from the State of New York Office of the Professions - it looked just like my PE renewal letter, so I thought at first that they'd not gotten my check...

NO! They're offering a "Professional Identification Card" for $20. Basically, this ID card would use my digitized photo (already on file with the state department of motor vehicles) for purposes of identifying me as a licensed professional.

But why?

According to the letter it's to allow me to be identified as a professional engineer pertinent to disaster readiness.

I do not actually feel comfortable being on a list of "disaster-ready" engineers that the state may call on. The primary reasons: 1) I don't have what I would consider the right training for aiding in a disaster, 2) it's been my experience that those first on the site, unless they're medical doctors, paramedics, or come with their own crane and backhoe, aren't of much use and will just get in the way.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

'I do not actually feel comfortable being on a list of "disaster-ready" engineers.....".
No matter they will be quite comfortable with your $20.
Anyone who can be of use in a disaster should have the cards issued free.
The real trick will be for who ever is in charge as a disaster scene to know what they are and what they can do. The last thing that person needs is a flock of people yelling and holding up picture IDs yelling "I am an engineer", "I'm an accountant", "i'm a dog groomer" etc.

BJC - I'm always concerned about my hair at disaster sites and a dog groomer would be real handy.....

DaveViking - I do beleive that should be interested, there are courses (often free from you SEMA) that will prepare you, about as well as any can be prepared, to assist with structural evaluations. Given this came from NY, I'll bet it started with the SEAONY group and the 9/11/2001 terrorist attacks.

SEMAs across the country offer such courses on flood and earthquake evaluation as well as extreme events...which these days covers tornados, hurricanes etc.

IMHO, this is a good idea that my go astray if it's not properly administered. It's a good idea to have qualified professionals doing the work but it needs desperately to be coordinated so that it doesn't interfere with life saving efforts.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

I received the same offer from the NYS Education Department. In my case, it would cost more because I'm not a NY resident.

It seems well -intentioned but I think it's more of a money-making scheme than anything else. There's a NY state agency called SEMO - State Emergency Management Office - they can easily call in engineers from the various state agencies. One drawback: They have to pay these engineers.

SEMO is also responsible for responding to state declared disasers and providing liaison personnel to federally declared disasters in New York. This staff is provided by various state agencies.

So let me make sure I understand this correctly.

After paying some of the highest taxes in the country, As a NYS resident will be able to pay for this PE card as a service to the State. Then I can go into a “Hazardous situations,” for maybe some extra pay. If I don’t get injured, I could potentially get a lung dieses or other ailment which neither my insurance nor the State will pay for, as has happened in past disasters.

Where do I sign up??!!!! *Written as sarcastically as my keyboard can possibly type!

The idea seems to have good intentions, but first responders are normally EMS, dog teams. Most technical rescue teams, area train in securing unstable structures to remove people. Having first responder engineers probably would be useless without other resources in place. I can just imagine, “You search and rescue teams will have to stop saving people so we can save this structure.” By the time an engineer would be useful, the state could have flown in their teams with engineers.

Most are on target with this....but please remember a few items.

1. The SEMA will not likely pay you directly for time involved, but will reimburse your expenses directly related to the incident.
2. Most SEMA organizations have a three day rule for engagement.
3. Most state engineers will be inspecting their facilities and not residential or commercial.

With those noted above, also consider that even if the State was too get 2000 charitable souls, only about a third will be available and of that you're trying to rotate in three day assignments. You quickly see that many are required.

Having noted all that, my SEMA provides identification cards free.....so it does sound like a money making scheme.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

I don't live in NY, and don't really have any experience with what people have stated above. However, I do volunteer at different things/organisations.

In all cases, the identity tags/cards/registrations/police clearance check/etc are covered by the organisation that I am volunteering at. They rarely ask you for out of pocket - gas/insurance/your car not withstanding. They usually pay you your expenses, not the other way around. Otherwise, many would not pay to volunteer.

Then again, I don't live in NY.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Ashereng, Yes In New York there are organizations that manage “Identity tags/cards/registrations/police clearance check/etc” and I encourage volunteering with an organization- my last post I had to re-write 3 time because I got on a major tangent for personal reasons.

Just having the State give out a “Professional Card” and being on their list and not a member of a large organization like SEAONY is rather concerning. Not being in a large organization leaves a person very open to lawsuits, even though there is the “good Samaritan law” in NYS, you might win the case after spending a lot of money on a lawyer. My dad is constantly getting sued as the manager of multiple volunteer first responder entities for saving peoples lives, its really sad. A simple google search will show during 9/11 there were many volunteers with organizations that have serious medical conditions that are not being covered by insurance or anyone.

Although I think the idea is good in Utopia, but I don’t feel it’s a realistic solution to a disaster issue. Things don’t always end up as bad as I said, but such things happen all too often. For every Good Samaritan there is 10 sue happy idiots trying to make a quick buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back