Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming I2C Serial EEPROM 24CXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgemoreno

Electrical
Sep 1, 2002
MX
Hi,

I am experimenting with a programmer for 24CXX type serial EEPROMs, I developed a programmer interface for the serial port (I don't want to use the parallel port which is a common preference) on the PC, I have tested this programmer using PONYPRO program and works just fine, the thing is that just to better understand how this type of devices work I want to develop my own application using Visual Basic and the MSCOMM control. The data sheet of a 24CXX suggest that for a READ the following sequence must be done:

START 1010AAA0 N HHHHHHHH N LLLLLLLL N START 1010AAA1 N
210 76543210 76543210 76543210
RRRRRRRR N STOP

where R indicates the PC reading a bit.

Frankly, I know how to send or recive data on Visual Basing through the MSCOMM, but I don't know how to control it to send such a sequence described before in which a for instance to make a SATRT condition you must make a transition from High to Low of SDA while SCL is High.

So if someone has experimented using Visual Basic/MSCOMM and the Pc'Serial Port to program a 24CXX please giev a hint.

The circuit is below just try to make it look right by copying and pasting it on a notepad document.

Thank you very much-

100n| |
--| |--
| | | | PC SIDE
| | LM7805 SERIAL PORT
24CXX | \ / ---------- 1N4148 RS232
---------- | | | | /| -
--|A0 VCC|------------|Vout Vin|----------------------|< |---------|4| DB9 - DTR
| | |jumper | | GND | | | | | \| | -
--|A1 WP |-o o- |+ ---------- + | | | |
| | | J1 | --- | --- --- | |
--|A2 SCL|---- | --- \ / --- --- | | /| | -
| | | | | |47u 47u|___|100n ---|< |-----|---|6| DB9 - DSR
--|GND SDA|-- | --| | | \| | | | -
| ---------- | | \ / \ / | | |
\ / | | | | | -
| | | | -|7| DB9 - RTS
| | 4.7K | | -
| ---------------------/\/\/\-------------------- |
| | |
| | 4.7K |
|-----------------| -----/\/\/\----------------------
| | |
| | ---´
| ---´ ´ ^ -
| ´ ^ /___\ ---|5| DB9 - GND
| /___\ |4.7V | -
| |4.7V | |
| | | |
| \ / \ / \ /
|
| -
--------------------------------------------------------|8| DB9 - CTS
-

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your drawing is unreadable on my computer.
Can you use MSCOMM to set the control bits individually? You more or less need to drive these bits as a parallel port.

Are there any utilities in VB to drive the printer port? It might be easier. The levels are already at 5 volts, and they are open collector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back