Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming LOGO 8 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekman

Electrical
Sep 3, 2009
US
Thought this was shareworthy, as there is no information broadcast from Siemens about it, I had to figure out with the help of a guy in Germany...
If you (use Siemens LOGO, I'm sure there's at least 1 or 2 people besides me) and got the latest 0BA8, it had an unannounced firmware upgrade I think towards the end of 2016.
Using the Logosoft Comfort software, you need to upgrade to version 8.1.0. This is usually done quickly and easily through HELP-Update Center from the menu along top of screen.
You must open the software/program "as an administrator" or it won't work.
So once you've got 8.1 installed and running, you have to check the FW version of your 0BA8:
-Diagnostics
-Software
-FW version
If it's 1.08.03, you have to select the PLC Type (bottom right of LSC screen) "LOGO!8.FS4"
If it's 1.01.01, you need to select type "0BA8.Standard"
I had our guys send a PLC back thinking it was bad because it wouldn't take a program, when the new one came in and had the same problem, I dug a little deeper and discovered this. Hope it helps someone!

Hey The; Thanks for this tidbit. Nice of you to post it. That's a problem like the many I have trying to program LOGO!s. I actually finally gave up on them. I have one I could never talk to sitting on my shelf.

Keith Cress
kcress -

They are actually Texas Instruments devices and there was no problem at all with them when they were introduced as LOGO! by Siemens. Then, the Siemens "Man kann es komplizierter machen" took over and I Think they never got it right again. There was even a hardware problem when they changed manufacturing site (the AI:s had a problem with oscillations because the 324 couldn't work without a pull down resistor). Sad, they were quite good for small automation tasks and I liked the signal flow programming a lot. But I also gave up on them.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Ya, they get basic IO handled nicely and the ladder logic object-oriented platform is very simple compared to typical LL...I'm told the function block diagram side of it 'is better' but i've not HAD to use it, and never took the time to write a program using it.
When I wanted to do some network interfacing, on top of all the other limitations, I was told that what I wanted to do wasn't possible in the LLD (LL) but only FBD.
The biggest problem I've seen is that the LOGO family will only talk to the LOGO family. You have to use S7 family to get online with anything else apparently, which is a different platform and protocol altogether.
Also, I just learned that Siemens offers a free program translation from Rockwell AB to Siemens S7 (1200, 1500), you just have to send them the code and they'll turn it around in 3-5 days I believe.

I was dropped into the LOGO when I started working here 10 years ago, and haven't really had a choice but to use it exclusively. They 'upgrade' every few years and that's thrown me sideways a couple times, but it always works out. The newest 0BA8 is pretty cool, but still won't allow cross vendor communications. Siemens really has some, and a lot, of cool stuff. I also just learned that all the TopGolfs are run on Siemens networks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back