Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Programming PLC to Recognize Standby and Rut Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardcoreLearnee22

Electrical
Feb 15, 2016
US

Hello All,

Thank you for reading my post. I'm attempting to figure out how to determine whether a pump is in standby or rut in the PLC control logic for a water management system. This is what the client explicitly asked for. The pump motor is interlocked with the discharge valve so the pump must turn on before the valve begins to open. Since the pump will experience an inrush of water from the reservoir, it must constantly be pumping water while its running. If it's in standby mode, then the motor would have to be off, but ready to start. I'm assuming this is correct, but I would appreciate a second opinion to confirm it.

In addition, I am not familiar with the rut status of a motor. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean it's running but not transmitting energy to the water? If someone could define that for me, I would be extremely grateful. If my definition is correct, I do not understand how the PLC knows if the motor is in rut without sensing a current or voltage; The only switches I have access to is the running switch from the motor controller and the open and closed limit switch of the discharge valve. I'm almost done with this project and I just need a bit of a push forward to figure out this logic, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

In case it's relevant, I'm using TIA portal version 13 step 7, PLC sim version 13 and WinCC step 7 version 13.

Much Appreciated,[bigsmile]
Hardcore_Learnee22

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Perhaps it is "run" instead of "rut".

Regarding " I do not understand how the PLC knows if the motor is in rut without sensing a current or voltage;"

Many systems that are not critical do not have inputs to prove the operation. A pump will just turn on and run. The plant operator will verify operation.

You need to ask someone there what "rut" means because it has no meaning to any practicing engineer. Asking in different forums is not going to help that particular problem.

The normal switch settings are RUN-OFF-AUTO or HAND-OFF-AUTO. Until you get this absurd "rut" corrected we are all going to have a hard time helping you.

Keith Cress
kcress -

I took care of run and standby. It's just rut at this point. I've tried googling it and did not find anything important and google almost never fails. If anyone does know something about it, I'd appreciate the info. Otherwise, thank you for the previous responses.

Best,
HardcoreLearnee22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back