Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PROJECT ADVICE NEEDED FROM ALL OF YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.

nedians

Civil/Environmental
Mar 8, 2001
EU
iam really confused about my final year project in the civil engineering department . i need some suggestiosn from you people:-

1) I have 2 options ...one is to do a project on economical building system for a 40 storey building which involves design ,anaylses and quantities with shear wall and tabular system....the second is to make a software to perform dynamic anaylses of buildings ( earthquake and wind forces ) ..

in your opninion which project is the most better one for my future work , i have to complete the project with 6 months.
please do give me some information

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think each will benefit you. And each has a place in the field of Civil Engineering. However, from my perspective (I am partial to dynamic analysis) I would choose the second project.

Good Luck

I have to agree with qshake, any of us has to be able to write some code and beside that any of the FEA programs users must understand what's going on behind the screen. Using a program as a black box gives you a lot of uncertainties. That's why I recommend to anyone who has the opportunity to study the algorithms for dynamic analysis to do it. The first option is a common choice and the only thing that you will get will be more training for stuff already known from school. Anyway, you will spend a lot of time doing analysis for various structure within your future work, but writing software...hehe... I seriously doubt it. So... be sharp and make a good choice.

best regards,
kope

That's a tough choice. I personally like the second one. However, it depends on you. The second one will require two major capabilities from you. 1) You better understand dynamic analysis very well. I don't mean an overview understanding. I mean... you need to feel comfortable with both the theory behind it and the mathematics of practical equation solving ( no... they did not likely teach you the practical math skills you need here in school. most guys I hear from over the net still think the way to solve simultaneous equations is to invert a matrix. that's only how you do it if you don't know what you are doing ). 2) You need to be a good programmer. If you haven't already written some decent sized, complex programs before, you'll have a hard time here. Don't tackle this job unless you are already competent at programming. Even if you are... note that 6 months is not a lot time for this type of assignment.

Dan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back