Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project Engineering Courses 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pclegg25

Automotive
Aug 27, 2002
GB
I am a Machine Design Engineer moving into a Project Engineering role. Although I have a the basic principal of managing a project I would be keen to better myself. I come from West Yorkshire, United Kingdom and would be most grateful if anybody could tell me if there are any relevant courses out there?

Regards,
Paul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I followed the same track some years ago with good results. I didn't take a course, but I researched the subject with some current books. Searching for "Project Engineering" in Amazon dot com/UK will lead you to some books, even at used prices.

A powerful tool is MS Project, which facilitates the scheduling and updating function. My projects are scheduled with % complete, weeks, start date, finish date, resources, comments, etc. It is something I review and update almost daily. And you can forward it to your boss and contacts.

Tracking expenditures is interesting. You should have an S curve of cumm. money spent vs. time. It ramps up in the beginning, follows a more or less constant rate, then it tapers off at the end.

pclegg25,

I would recommend the courses that Lancaster University run. I completed their Certificate course a year ago. This course is a 9 month course based on modules completed on campus along with written assignments. The course covers all aspects of project management and is applicable no matter what industry you are working in. People on my course came from backgrounds such as Glaxo Smithkline, BAE system, NHS, CO OP Bank, etc. Cost was £3000, but I think it was well worth it. Contact Christine Murrell at Lancaster University for more details. Course is also accredited by IMechE.

They also run each module of the certificate course as a stand alone course, if your budget is limited. If you are feeling keen, they do a Masters course as well.

And as you are based in West Yorks, not too far to travel too!

I'd be please to tell you more if you want to know.

I wrote a book for this very reason, no guidance for project engineers in how to do projects and what the pitfalls are. The book is Plant Project Engineers Guidebook and is available from It is written for those new to project engineering who are trying to manage small projects in operating plants. I also run a 2 day Plant Project Engineering Workshop that covers all aspects of project engineering. The next workshop is in Calgary Alberta on 29 - 30 May 03 (doesn't help if you are in the UK), it is also at under courses.

Please contact me if you need further info.

Regards bmoj@telus.net
The Project Doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back