Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project management software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfritten

Civil/Environmental
Oct 18, 2004
US
Looking for project management software that I can use to track several projects at one time. A summary sheet of the status of several projects.

Maybe something that would work with MS Project to summaries several MS Projects to one summary sheet. Like a Excel Spreadsheet?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On one single Project file you can include different project by "outlining" activities. Just having each project on the "top level" and below them their correspondent activities.
Rgds, Javier

track projects...there are different things to track:
- time
- budget
time can be achieved with MS Project and excel can use to track actual cost and budget for comparation

But depending on company available software. We use SAP Project module and it is a data base link between time and budget and purchasing and accounting and even maintenance.

I think Microsoft project has a product available called Project Central that allows you to work with multiple projects. If yu are using Project already, this may work for you.

SFritten,

Great question, but if you are using MS Project, you have the correct tool. MS Project is exactly what I use to track multiple projects with shared resources.

You can create the individual project files and the create a Master Project file by using Insert - Project (in the menu), to insert all of your sub projects into the master file. When you have the master open you can modify the master, which in turn updates the sub projects, so you can look at the individual project file or the master. The same goes for reports... Sounds really easy, but it works very well.

Good luck.

Best Regards,

TSeener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back