Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

project photos ownership

Status
Not open for further replies.

COEngineeer

Structural
Sep 30, 2006
US
So I am about to start my own company (structural, mostly residential). I am building the website right now. I was wondering if I will get in trouble if I put pictures of projects when I work for other company. Some of the projects I didnt stamp (didnt have it that time), and some I stamped. Some pictures were taken by me, and some were taken by the contractor. Is there an issue to use these photos on my new company website?

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably not. Anyone could take pictures of a building and post them on their website, and providing the pictures do not divulge any sensitive features (security systems, weak spots for unlawful entry, etc) there shouldn't be a problem.

But it wouldn't hurt to check with the client first. It might prevent a lot of aggravation and bad relations later.

[cheers]

Almost forgot to mention; it's one thing for you to have the photos for your personal record, (proof of design conformance, CYA, etc) but quite another to post them for all to see ... without permission.

[cheers]

I'd be careful to check if there are any copyright issues using what are effectively pictures owned by your former employer or another party.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Well Mike. This is a residential project and pretty much I was the only one that really worked on them. Other people just did peer review and my supervisor stamped some of my early projects. How about the the projects I stamped?

Never, but never question engineer's judgement

I would use the photos in moderation, in a generic fashion, and without including any big claims or descriptions. Then, as you get some of your own projects, replace the older photos.

To be safe, I list the jobs I have worked on in the past, both in the employment of others, and on my own, in separate listings on my business resume.

I only show pictures of the projects, though, that I have designed and stamped while on my own.

That way, there is no possible conflict of interest, confidendiality issues, or sore toes.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back