Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Project specifications for Siemens

Status
Not open for further replies.

semilogical

Electrical
Jan 11, 2007
US
I have to use a Siemens PLC for a project. I am an AB type and have little experience with Siemens on the front end. i.e. specifying what is needed for a project.

Does Siemens have a site that is similar to the AB RFQ that you can build a system with?

I don't know if I need an S7-200 or an S7-300 processor.

The job requires quite a few PID loops for control that will have several loops that are compounded into one output.

I need some direction.

The I/O count is as follows:
5 Thermocouples
9 4-20mA inputs
5 4-20mA outputs
28 Digital Inputs
16 Digital Outputs.

There will be 6 PID control schemes in the system.

Thanks.

Semilogical

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, contact your local Siemens Rep. I'm sure they have an applications guy that would sit down with you and go over your options.
Second, the S7-226 would be the most cost effective solution for what you are doing. There is a PID instruction in the MicroWin software, but I've never used it. The S7-300 series is a bit more involved and like going from the AB Micrologix to the AB ControlLogix.
The S7-226 has 24 in and 16 out. There are various expansion modules to fit your needs. The S7-300 requires a few more goodies including special mounting rail, power supply, and bus connectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back