Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Projecting Finish Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

mweng

Civil/Environmental
Nov 15, 2002
US
How do you show project finish dates that are based on the actual start and % completion? For example, I have schedule where I entered actual start of 11/12/03, duration is 10 working days and task is 80% complete. Project is showing a finish date of 11/25/03. How can this be true if today is 3/4/04 and the task is not yet complete?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can't get Project to do that, as there's no good way for Project to estimate your run rate under all conditions.

What you can do is to baseline the schedule and put in the new estimated end date.

TTFN

It has been along time since I have used project but I think that once you update each task you need to update the project. Goto tools-tracking-update project.

Complementing what WillRussell said, that is the best way to forecast your end date. The way to do it is:

- Enter the advance per activity.
- Make sure you tell MSProject the status date of the project by going to Menu>Project>Project Information>Status Date (here you enter the status date)
- Then go to Tools>Tracking>Update Project
- Check the radio button "Reschedule uncompleted work to start" (put the status date if other)
- Press OK.

Project will reschedule uncompleted work (your remaining 20%), i.e. 2 days in your example, to start from the status date on.

Note: if after doing this, it is not showing an accurate en date as it will happen, then you have to modify the duration of your activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back