Propane converter temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

1asa

Computer
Apr 24, 2003
IT
Hello,
have been told the LPG exiting the propane converter should be around 70 deg F: I think mine is way a lot hotter, the converter is very hot to the touch!
Where and which type of thermostat will have to install in the water pipes of converter?
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Reliable thermostats for LPG vaporizers are hard to find. One trick I use is to install an adjustable control valve, like the one used for heater cores, in the outlet line. Under full load, screw in the adjustment until the temperature is about 75 degrees. If it is in too far, the vaporizer will frost over, to little and it will still be hot. The vaporizer will be the hottest at idle but there is little LPG flowing through it.

Franz

Interesting.
A question: you mean the control valve should be installed in the outlet water line of the vaporizer? Why not in the inlet? Blocking the outlet will keep the hot water in the vaporizer..? Or am I missing something? Thanks, Rick

Yes you are, by throttling the inlet, you can have a condition where the water jacket is not full, thus losing control over the process. By throttling the Exhaust, you assure a full charge of water, and the only way the water can add a "significant" amount of heat is for you to open the valve, thus allowing a flow of hot water, as opposed to the relatively stangnant flow previously, which had lost its heat. Make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back