Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

propane line in MCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruble3

Mining
Jul 24, 2003
AU
Does anyone know of any rule against running a propane line through an electrical room containing motor starters and/or switchgear? (Ontario)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello;
Depending on how then line is constructed, it might change the area from unclssified to a classified area. Possible construction elements that would cause this is pipe joints, valves, connections etc.

Don't know about Canada, but if it runs above the gear, that's an NEC violation. See Article 110:

(1) Indoor. Indoor installations shall comply with 110.26(F)(1)(a) through (d).
(a) Dedicated Electrical Space. The space equal to the width and depth of the equipment and extending from the floor to a height of 1.8 m (6 ft) above the equipment or to the structural ceiling, whichever is lower, shall be dedicated to the electrical installation. No piping, ducts, leak protection apparatus, or other equipment foreign to the electrical installation shall be located in this zone.

Since the installation is at another site I took a look this afternoon- the 'room' is concrete block construction housing an m-g set- outside the room is a makeup air unit ( propane fired) - because of the location of the propane tank farm, the piping was brought in through the room with the m-g set & out to the m-a-u; they put ABS pipe over the propane piping so I can't see any joints etc - didn't see anythging in the code book(s) about this

dpc is right about the dedicated space but the NEC also addresses working space in front, sides, and back of electrical apparatus that have access panels that are removable for working on that equipment, the best bet is to contact the local electrical inspector, or at least a licensed electrician so you dont end up having to move the gas pipe again.

So long as you are clear of the NEC 110 working spaces & dedicated equipment spaces, you should be OK.

I don't believe propane would trigger a hazardous classification. NFPA generally excludes propane and natural gas piping/valves/utilization equipment from triggering XP requirements -- that is, the gas piping to the gas stove in your kitchen doesn't mean you need XP outlets and lights. My understanding of the reasoning for this (I think it's in the NFPA footnotes) is that the burners on the equipment are a bigger hazard than the electrical installation, so if the burners haven't set off an explosion than neither will your electrical stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back