Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proper distributor for Butane Inlet to Sphere

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcu

Chemical
May 31, 2002
US
I am working on the process specifications and calculations for a Butane (97.5% NC4). I am not sure about how to handle the distributor inlet. I have seen spheres that have a distributor near the top. It is a circular distributor with holes. I expect this is an effort to cool vapors as the sphere level climbs. It has holes and is off-set from the centerline of the sphere. What is the advantage or purpose of this type distributor compared to having an inlet at the bottom.

For bottom distributor, do you recommend some type pipe or circular distributor or maybe just inject the Butane behind a baffle or shield?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've seen an elevated distributor in an anhydrous ammonia storage tank. Its purpose was to better maintain an equilibrium situation between the vapor space and the bulk liquid. Else, during daytime, the vapor space could approach ambient temperatures - well above equilibrium with the cool liquid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back