Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proper method of drafting structural frames of welded tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatfood

Industrial
Sep 7, 2012
CA
I'm used to drafting precision mechanical components with well defined tolerances, feature positions and use of locating pins for assembly etc. Basically CNC machined components that fit together nicely and where each individual part can be separated out nicely and can be drafted easily.

But for jobs involving metal structural frames created from welded metal tube extrusions, whats the proper way of drafting these parts? I'm new to drafting welded stuff.

Say I want to draft the assembly of a metal frame comprised of welded metal tube extrusions. What is the proper way to draft them, especially if the structure is large and the tubes look like lines at that scane?

When I'm doing drafts of each separate part component. Should I have draft orthographic views for each individual tube, and then another draft orthographc view for when those individual tubes are welded together (into a welded single part)? Or just one for the final welded part showing where the weldments should go? Then comes the assembly. This can get messy when you have a large frame structure.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wouldn't worry too much about detailing individual parts, and if you use the Frames utility you will not be able to anyway.

Basically there are 2 ways to create your framework - either using individually modelled parts that can have their own detail drawings, or using Frames and just drawing the overall assembly.
Neither is the right or wrong way - it just depends on how your company works.
If possible I would use Frames and draw the overall assembly. You can then let the manufacturer decide how he creates the joints, makes weld allowances etc.

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

In addition to BC's comments, I'd use the frame tool in conjunction with parts/cutting lists. If you haven't used the frame tool before then you will find the interface a bit clunky but persist as it is well worth taking the time to learn properly. Also, if you can update to ST5 then do so as there are some benefits. The parts list will auto-balloon but it places the arrows at the end of each member so it is impossible to tell which is which - pretty useless. I balloon manually to save the grief. You can also include mitres in the parts list but it will only show 45deg angles, so again not so useful. Once you set up your parts list, make sure to save it as (one again) the interface is poor and a bit of a bear.
Tony

And ST5 will trim the ends of frame members to other parts (eg. a base or foot plate).

bc.
Core i5-3570 @3.4GHz , 8GB RAM
Quadro FX4600. W7 Pro 64-bit.

Thanks. I have the frame done using some of the above methods.

What is the proper way of presenting them in 2D orthographic and isometric views for engineering drafts for say documentation and manufacturing etc?

For precision components this is easy and I'm used to it. When it comes to frames I have little experience, since they are extremely unprecise. Also, they can be awkward and clunky looking, so an isometric view with all the dimensioning can be challenging.

If the frame is large, the isometric or orthographic view can look like a bunch of sticks. How do you properly provide good location between the components?

Do you know of examples of such engineering draft documentation involving welded frames that I can take a look at for reference. I am using ANSI standard, but ISO and or ANSI will be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back