Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proper Moment Equation for sheeting evaluation

Status
Not open for further replies.

tprofessional10

Civil/Environmental
Apr 5, 2012
US
Hello,
I'm evaluating several different shoring/sheeting applications.
I've figured the proper soil/surcharge loading, however I'm having a bit of difficulty determining the proper equations/moments to use for the sheets/panels withstanding the loads.

I have a slide rail system, a sheeting/whaler system, and a cross braced (spreader bar) + panel system.

What I can't decide is to use a traditional cantilever/simply supported combo moment (wL^2/8) or use a combination (i.e. superposition) with a combination of the different loads in order to evaluate the vertical posts.

I know to use the tributary loading to evaluate the proper loading against the posts, however I'm unsure of how to evaluate the post back against the loading....if that makes any sense.

For example:
10' deep shoring
20' wide panels
1' wide posts
with cross bracing at 5' and 8' height from bottom.

Let's say 700 psf load rating
21' tributary width

I would think this is a fixed end bottom, with two simply supported (or pinned) connections, but what is max moment equation to determine worst case scenario?

If I need to clarify further, please advise, otherwise any help is greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back