Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proper Nomenclature when refering to I-deas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubercad

Mechanical
Oct 18, 2007
US
In the past when I-deas was still owned by SDRC people would use the terms SDRC or I-deas interchangebly to refer to the softaware. Sometimes both (SDRC I-deas). SDRC of course was aquired by EDS, but there are ads out there for jobs looking for people with SDRC expereince (where have these people been?). The last version, revision or whatever of I-deas was Master Series 12 (I think). Some in the industry are currently refering to I-deas as I-deas NX, not to be confuse with NX4, NX5, NX6 etc. which are really incarnations of the Unigraphics (UG) CAD application. Contrary to what some may have been lead to believe I-deas was not "merged" with Unigraphics to create NX. NX, imo, is basically UG with some functionallity from I-deas thrown in there.

I guess what I'm getting at is, what is the official name for the latest version or revision of I-deas? Siemens refers to I-deas as NX I-deas. What is the latest version of I-deas? I certainly hope it's not something like NX# I-deas because I know full and well that engineering managers who often are not end users of these apps could end up refering to I-deas as NX. NX is not I-deas! NX is UG and I-deas is I-deas!

Stop the madness!

The glass is operating at 50% capacity.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Good to know. I just hope managers don't use the term NX6 to describe NX I-deas 6m2. Some probably will.

The glass is operating at 50% capacity.

Most won't and if they do, then that just goes to show you how detached they are from the CAD world. The NX moniker was used in reference to what was formerly UG long before it was thrown in with I-deas. Most I-deas users that I've come across still refer to I-deas as I-deas followed by version and possibly maintenance release level (m1, m2, etc.). SDRC might only come up if they're still using that product from way back when, before UGS/Siemens bought SDRC (v10 and earlier I believe).

I don't think too many people are in a panic about getting Coke and Coke Zero mixed up, so you should be OK in the software realm.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back