Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProProgram in Assembly mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCARPENTER1

Computer
Sep 22, 2005
I have a part which works fine all by itself, but when I insert it into an assembly, it refuses to play nice. Every time I try to regenerate it, I get the following error:

Aborting regeneration due to failures executing Pro/Program.

The part itself doesn't make use of a family table, it instead has uses logic built into the Pro/Program to either add or not add features, it's fine on its own, but in an assembly it eventually does what it's supposed to but not without a lot of guff.

Any idea why this would be? I've done a fair bit of CAD and CAD programming but I'm still new to ProE - any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks
Todd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think I may have figured out part of my problem. In spite of the fact family tables aren't used, an automation routine still calls one of the family table instances, and for some reason, Pro/Program's inputs aren't available in the instances.

I don't get why. Can anybody shed some light on this for me?

Thanks
Todd

If there is a family table. Those dimensions can be driven through programming and then you only need one part. This all depends on what type of numbering system you use.
I don't know the details of your project.
With the assembly problem. usually you will need to have an input that is going to drive the relation/programming in the part. You will also need to execute the part in the assembly program.
Where I use to work we never used family tables. They created problems. I did some very extensive programming there. Driving everything from the top level assembly down to the parts. The only tables we had were the ones created for sheet metal flat states. I know I probably have not helped much but, if you want some examples let me know.

Hi greg1962,

Thanks, that would be great, I'd really appreciate any help I can get. ProE seems to have some strange quirks and I'm not familiar enough with them to be able to effectively work around them yet. What sorts of problems to Family Tables create? Do these affect WF2 and WF3 or are these versions better behaved?

Thanks again.
Todd

I do some extensive programming within Pro/E, In general the only thing I like to keep in my family tables are the paramters that define each instance. For example if I have a series of parts that will change by size and material type, I will put columns in the family table for those paramters. This will be all you should need to detail your individual parts in drawing mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back