Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pros and cons of PVD coating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryex

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2001
GB
Does anyone know how wear resistant this coating is? I'm considering using a black pvd coating, but i'm rather concerned that the finish won't last.

Any opinions would be gratefully appreciated

Bry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bry

You need to specify the material that you will be using. PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) is the process by which the coating is applied. A variety of materials can be used depending on the desired properties. PVD is used to hard coat metal cutting tools such as milling cutters so I imagine that the wear resistance achievable is excellent

Rich

Rich,

Sorry for being abit vague, but i'm actually unsure of the coating, the coating is used on the recent SBS(Special Boat Services similar to SAS) Dive watches. The RN dive watches are plain SS cases probably 316L. Would you say that this process is like hard anodising?

Anyway thanx for replying

Bry

Hi Bry

I looked into PVD a couple of years ago when I was in the UK.
I suggest that you contact a company called Balzers (not sure of the spelling) in Milton Keynes. They were very helpful to me and I bet that they would know what you are talking about.

Hope this helped

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back