Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protected versus unprotected manholes and wetwells

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerbob

Civil/Environmental
Dec 12, 2001
US
Does anyone know of any reseach on the effects of coal-tar epoxy from acid attach on sewer manholes and wetwells? We've had an engineer ask us for reccommendations on standard unprotected manholes vs. Coal-tar vs. mechanical liners. I know that the mechanical liners are the best protection and highest cost, but my main concern is unprotected vs. the coal tar.

tigerbob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Coal tar or Koppers( trademark) is a good coating for RCP if it is applied at the factory. I haven't found a good coating that is applied to existing structures. although some people swear by them. Go to the Trenchless online site for a list of the coating companies.

We are designers and makers of sewer valves, covers and frames. We have found that most 2 part epoxy resins are cost effective for valve bodies but rely on bitumen product for the underside of covers. Ductile iron with a triple coat has had the test of time with acceptable results - however, grey iron is more porous and will have faster breakdown following paint coat loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back