Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protecting stored pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccc123

Mechanical
May 17, 2006
PS
Horizontal booster pumps and vertical submersible pumps are planned to be stored for two years in warehouses , what type of maintenance or what we have to do to protect them during the storage period ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would fill them with a mixture of inert gases that is used for car tires to minimize oxidative processes. From outer side I would apply some moisture repelant spray here around known under trade name WD40.
If no better suggestion this one is maybe a good one.
m777182

You didn't mention if the warehouse is heated. If moisture is a real concern you might consider bagging them. If they are bigger than a 55gal bag you might look into the system that is used to seal boats during the winter. (not sure how it works)

As for anti-rust, I've had really good luch with never-seize products. I can't think of the particular product but I will try and find out. I've had parts sit outside for >2yrs and there was no rust.

My biggest concern would be seals. I'm not sure what to do here, maybe vasoline?

Of course WD-40 doesn't absorb water, but over time it does evaporate.
I'd recommend a product called LPS-3, available in aerosol cans, 1 gallon, 5 gallon, etc. It only comes off when you want it to. Doesn't seem to hurt rubber or paint.
Website is at lpslabs.com

regards,
- R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back