Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protection of wound rotor induction motors 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlierod

Electrical
Mar 16, 2004
CO
Hello everybody,

Where could I find guidelines for protecting wound rotor induction motors?

To the best of my knowledge, protection of this type of equipment is achieved in the same manner as for squirrel cage induction motors. But there are still some concerns regarding rotor winding faults for which conventional protection doesn't operate as expected.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Charlierod
The conventional WR motor protection is achieved in the same manner as for SC induction motor. The problems I had in the past were always related to overheating (even melting) of slip rings(lack of brush pressure, surface wearing, sparkling ). We installed thermal optical sensors inside the brush holder compartment monitoring the slip rings temperature.The present sensors/processors technology can give much more informations (trend graphics, values, etc). This is the best of my knowledge.
Best Regards

charlierod
I don't remember exactly the model we had used but today I consider Raytek compact series CI as an option that must be analysed. ( output J or K or 0 to 5 Volts, 70 deg Celsius ambient temperature, cooling options, 0 to 500 deg Celsius range).
Sorry, I am not familiarized with deg Fahrenheit but It works in both scales.It was a joke. Sorry.
Best Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back