Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

protection textbook recommendation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valentino Vila

Electrical
Oct 3, 2019
US
Can anyone provide a recommendation for a good reference for protective relaying design and operation specific to transformers? Interested in protection of large industrial or utility power transformers rather than padmounts or commercial/residential applications. I am looking for something more detailed than the typical IEEE 242 or Blackburn references. Similar to the J&P Transformer Book but focused on protection schemes only.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've not seen anything much more detailed than Blackburn for transformer protection other than relay instruction manuals. You might try SEL website.

The following IEEE standards give comprehensive coverage on transformer protection:
1) C37.91-2008- Guide for protection of Power Transformers
2) C37.108-2002 -Guide for protection of Network Transformers

The following CIGRE Technical brochures also will be useful:
1) CIGRE Brochure No.463-2011 Modern Techniques for protection and monitoring of Transformers
2) CIGRE Brochure No.432-2010 Protection Relay Co-ordination
You can down load CIGRE Brochures from cigre.org website.

You can also get details of Transformer Protection relays from manufacturer's catalogues. ABB Technical guide itself runs in to nearly 1000 pages!

There are some Guides for protection of special transformers and reactors.
1) C37.245-2018 Protection of phase shifting Transformers
2) C37.109-2006 Protection of Reactors
3) CIGRE Brochure No546-2013 -Protection of Shunt Reactors
4) Guide for Through fault current withstand duration
-Oil filled Transformers -C57.12.109-1993 (R2008)
- Dry Type Transformers -C57.12.59 -2001

Thank you gentlemen for these references, much appreciated. I am familiar with most of the IEEE stds, I will give the Cigre and textbooks a look.

Two other good references, although they're based solely on differential protection and distance protection are the Gerhard Ziegler books:

- Numerical Differential Protection
- Numerical Distance Protection

The differential book is as the title states, solely focused on differential protection of generators, motors, transformers, lines and busbars.

The distance book should be self-explanatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back