Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Provision of Using Flexible Conduit in IEC Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahara7a

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2020
MY
Hi guys. I have a situation where conduit be connected using flexible conduit mid-length of the conduit. In my case here, the flexible conduit is connecting the conduit embedded in slab with the conduit embedded in brick wall (highlighted in yellow refer pic).

My questions are:
1) Is this allowable as I cant find any restriction in IEC Standard?
2) Can flexible conduit be used when punching through brick wall (Conduit between rooms)?

Thanks.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5c850d07-dc6b-4171-bbfd-be4393c8c502&file=Conduit_.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mahara7a (Mechanical)(OP)25 Sep 24 08:08
'.. I have a situation where conduit be connected using flexible conduit mid-length of the conduit. In my case here, the flexible conduit is connecting the conduit embedded in slab with the conduit embedded in brick wall (highlighted in yellow refer pic)..'.
I am not aware of any IEC std pertaining to the issue. Following opinion are for your consideration.
1. From the pic, both fix conduits are of uPVC plastic type, which are embedded.
2. The flexible short length coloured yellow is also uPVC plastic type, but exposed i.e. NOT embedded. If the location requires metallic conduit e.g. in a workshop etc., I do NOT consider that the uPVC plastic type offers the same mechanical protection as a metallic conduct. I have my reservation of its use.
3. uPVC plastic type should be ok; used when punching through brick wall (Conduit between rooms). In this case the flexible conduit is embedded, not subjected to potential mechanical damage.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back