Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PSC box bridge design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hafeezvr

Structural
Jul 30, 2003
IN
Hello friends,

I have to design PSC box bridge of 50 mt span.
As iam a novice in this type of designs, please help me where
can i get design examples.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1 If you are a novice you should not be designing a structure of this magnitude on your own. Sub-contract it.
2 British Concrete Association have many good examples of PSC design. I am sure that the American equivalent will also have similar examples.
3 The beam design is just the start.
4 Sub-contract or employ someone with experience.
5 Employ someone with experience.
6 Should you be unsuccessful in 4 and 5 get reading. ICE proceedings, ACI publications, etc.
Good luck

I cannot overstate my agreement with OLDHAND on this one. You need to either be mentored by a more senior engineer or have a bridge engineer consult on the project.

Box girders don't come along every day and there is much that is left beyond the simple design to determine the number of strands necessary to support the dead and live loads.

One such concern is the camber of such a beam and how the slab will be set with that in mind.

Another is at 50 meters you will undoubtably need some type of falsework and will either be responsible for that or will have to review the falsework to make sure it doesn't conflict with your design.

Lots of issues that can't be found in a book.

A 50-m span cannot be transported w/out splicing the girder. Therefore, the individual girder pieces will require prestressing but post-tensioning will be required to put the pieces together.

The other option would be to cast on-site.

Or, the other option would be a cast-in-place PT girder.

IMO this should be left to experienced bridge designers.

MikeD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back