PSCC & PFC Measurement Accuracy Using MFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

JezNZ

Electrical
Jun 17, 2021
NZ
Hi,

I am curious as to the experience of others in using multifunction testers (primarily designed for insulation resistance measurements) for measuring prospective short-circuit currents with regards to accuracy.

Typically in my company we use the Megger range of MFT (such as MFT-1835) to measure the short-circuit currents on the LV terminals of a new transformer or main switchboard installation.

Recently I have noticed the measured values to be significantly deviated from the theoretical short-circuit current used in the design (design including HV impedances) by upto 50%. This is at the point where it gives me concerns as to the adequacy of the HV protection to operate in all scenarios on a fault between the LV terminals an the first LV protective device.

Can anyone shed any light on similar experiences or recommendation to use a dedicated test unit (I'm not aware of what dedicated units might be used)?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the goal to measure or verify the nameplate short circuit impedance (%Z or Zk) of the transformer to calculate the fault current? If so, you would need to perform an open and short circuit impedance test. Impedance Tests

I doubt you would get anywhere close with a small instrument like what is being used - I'm guessing that it uses a DC source, which may deliver the DC winding resistance, but that's not the Zk. Care should also be taken when attempting a xfmr resistance test, due to high voltages generated by inductive kickback.

There are some tests that are performed in the field in conjunction with Tan Delta / Power Factor tests that can come somewhat close to the nameplate impedance, but are used for determining any mechanical issues in the transformer. Doble has a leakage reactance accessory and Omicron & Megger have something similar.

Sometimes a primary injection test is performed to prove stability of differential protection. In this case a reduced 3 phase source is connected to the HV side of Xfmr, with the secondary shorted out to create current flow. Say 480V on a 138kV HV / 12.47kV LV. I suppose these measurements could be carried out with this method, however one also has to consider that the %Z is given at some nominal temperature and this would need to be compensated for in the final calculations.

Hi thermionic1,

The goal is to measure the actual short circuit available fault current, inclusive of system impedance. The Megger MFT do this as a live test, automatically by drawing a range of load currents up to several amps and measuring the voltage changes of the source and applying a simple V_nom/Z_meas = PSCC formula.

For reference, by LV I'm referring to <1kV, this question applies to our testing of industrial and distribution transformers in the range 0.5-2MVA (11 or 22kV primary, 415V secondary).

Hi IrishPower,

It does look that may be a more suitable instrument, if there is not some other way of improving our measurement accuracy. I suspect the low current draw of the MFT to be the limitation of accuracy on these size distribution/industrial transformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back