Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

psv's, drains, vents-common outlet piping system

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmover

Mechanical
Sep 7, 2001
US
i recently inspected a new bulk aircraft fueling system (jp8 if the fluid) in which all the thermal & pressure relief valves, vents, and drains are piped into a common discharge piping system. the system contains pumps for transferring jp8 from one location to another along with the associated piping, valves, flow control devices, etc. there are valves (i.e. vents and drains) for the operator to open/close depending upon system operation, which can be potentially hazardous (human factor).
since my background is oil and gas, i do not ever recall encountering such a system in which vents, drains, and psv's are tied into a common piping system. eventually, these relieving devices may be piped to the flare header, but at least they are seperated by type (i.e. drains into one piped system, vents in another piped system, etc.).
i plan on investigating the design specifications for this project, but i welcome feedback from competent individuals regarding such systems. comments by co-workers indicate that this system design "is normal" for this type project, which causes me significant brainwave activity.
i know that i should have had the specs with me during the inspection, but i was given a < 12 hour notice of the project and had little time for preparation. this matter is a design issue and not an operational issue.
feedback and questions are welcome!
-pmover

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Let the process define the hazard associated with the common header. You mention drain? Not sure if you mean water draw (low point drain). If a water draw is manifolded with thermal pressure relief in a freezing environment, big potential for problems. Look at the system and determine what specific hazards are involved with this arrangement. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel. Once a hazard is identified and problems are discussed with your supervisor, go back to the client and discuss the need for a formal hazard analysis. Follow up this discussion with a letter stating the observed problem and recommendation for hazard analysis to determine the other problems with this piping arrangement. If you are right in your observation, you may have increased you scope of work and started the process to create a safer facility.

Collection of most fuel discharges from drains and thermal relief valves is standard in Military Type III Hydrant Fueling Systems. The fuel is collected in a common line and sent to a Product Recovery Tank. It can then be pumped back to the pumphouse for filtering and returned to fuel storage.

The Omaha Corps of Engineers has Standard Design info.

We have installed dozens of Hydrant systems worldwide for the military. Nearly all are Type III systems and have this feature to aid in automated delivery of fuel to aircraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back