Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Psychrometer/hygrometer equipment rec

Status
Not open for further replies.

flukeynub

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2012
US
I'm looking for information on hand held psychormeters/hygrometers and am wondering if anyone has had good experiences with particular brands/models. I'm looking for accuracy around +/-.5% RH for lab humidity transmitter validation.

Any recommendations?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Validation" in what sense? What is your transmitter accuracy? Your tester ought to be 4x better, but that's assuming you need that level of accuracy to begin with

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Simply that, I want a hand held sensor to take to sample points near BMS transmitters to determine the drift/accuracy present. The plant transmitters are 10 years old and to my knowledge have never been calibrated post-base build.

I don't need high levels of accuracy as this not a critical process control HVAC application.

I've used hand-helds from Vaisala, they have been super.

Just like any other humidity sensor, get them calibrated at no more than one-year intervals.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

You are probably not going to find +/-0.5% for a handheld. The vaisala unit mentioned above will do +/-1% up until about 90%RH and that is really good.
Most room sensors are good for +/-5% and some better ones do +/-3%, so a +/-1% calibration checker will be fine for your purposes. If you have higher precision sensors, then you need to remove them and calibrate them over a salt bath.
The real value in the handheld is that it can be readily calibrated, which is where you get your confidence in measurement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back