Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Public Domain Models for Hybrid Powertrain Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mloew

Automotive
Apr 3, 2002
US
Can members please recommend any Hybrid Powertrain Simulation Models (preferably in Matlab/Simulink) that are available in the Public Domain? I do know of ADVISOR, but that package is being commercialized and can only perform backward-facing analysis (with some forward-facing error compensation). PSAT (POWERTRAIN SYSTEMS ANALYSIS TOOLKIT) seems to be an alternative.

Googling for links has served well as an introduction, but I would like some member feedback and recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days" -- M.C. Escher

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ADVISOR is the obvious one. What do you mean by backward facing analysis? If you mean what I think you mean then have I got a brilliant stock market predictor for you...

I started to roll my own model of a Prius in Excel, but it has really turned into a tool for investigating gear ratios, the hybrid part has been ignored up until now.

If you were to roll your own then

may be a useful contact

Cheers

Greg Locock

Greg,

In a backward facing model architecture information is passed from the drive cycle speed requirements through the drive train system elements to calculate outputs. Backward facing models are said to run faster and are good for quick studies. A good explanation (and flowchart) of the backward facing solution can be found in the technical document An Object-Oriented Modelling Tool of Hybrid Powertrains for Vehicle Performance Simulation by S. Wilkins & M. U. Lampérth.

A forward facing model includes a driver model that drives the analysis by adjusting the same inputs (throttle, brake, etc.) that a real driver would. Therefore, the forward facing model can be used for HIL testing and controls systems development as well.

I am still grappling with the best modeling strategies to employ in my work, so further commentary is appreciated.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days" -- M.C. Escher

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

OK, I was assuming that forward facing would attempt to optimise the strategy given pre-knowledge of the road ahead. An example of this is a certification driver on the town cycle of the fuel consumption test.

"Factors affecting car fuel consumption

01/01/1993

Redsell, M.: Loughborough University of Technology
Lucas, G. G.: Loughborough University of Technology
Ashford, N. J.: Loughborough University of Technology

Journal of Automotive Engineering, Vol. 207, No. D1 pp1 "

Might help with behaviour of real drivers.

Cheers

Greg Locock

I have struggled with trying to find a power consumption model for Class 1-2 trucks (pickups, vans, and SUV’s) to model a hydraulic drive. The braking energy available for regenerative braking is of great importance in my project as I think up to 80% could be used for acceleration.
is a link to Argonne National Lab. There is some information available there, but it may not be free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back