Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Publication Methodology

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGrooms

Automotive
Mar 16, 2016
US
Good afternoon. I have been working overtime on Google searches and have come up largely empty. I have attached a small .ppt file containing two examples of publication methodology for creation of multiple variants based on a common definition.

The first slide shows a structure where the publication is attached at the product level as well as within the original .CATPart that provides the definition for the publication. I understand the depiction of the instance link within the first nodes of the product tree and why there isn't the same symbology in the second slide. This is controlled by our current CATSettings.

The second slide shows a different structure where there is no visibility of the publication/linkage between files without going to Edit+Links.

What I am trying hard to understand is... why, or what advantage,is there in taking the additional step of tying the publication to the product level? In all the time I have worked with CATIA, I have learned that there is a use case for everything, it just may not apply to you and your situation at the moment.

I am assuming that there is reasoning for this capability so that there is a broader link visibility within a PLM system. Can anyone offer any insight??

I appreciate any assistance that you can provide.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=28bf5c91-76f6-4742-8faf-7769ba761f1a&file=Publication_Methods.pptx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back