Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pulley requirements for lifting bulk bag of solid waste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh87

Civil/Environmental
May 5, 2015
Hello,

I am working on a new development project in East Africa with waste pickers. I am trying to improve their current collection/business model using a pulley design. I detail below their current business model:

1. Waste pickers collect waste from low-income residential areas using a handcart.
2. The handcart is lined with a small bulk bag that holds approximately 500kg of waste when full.
3. When the bulk bag is full, the handcart is transported to a large truck. The bulk bag is then lifted by several waste pickers out of the handcart at ground level (e.g. there is no raised platform). The waste pickers carry the bulk bag up a ladder to the top of the truck where its contents are tipped/poured out. The total height that the bulk bag is lifted from ground level to the top of the truck is 3.5 metres.

I would like to design a pulley that allows the waste pickers to attach a hook to the bulk bag while it is still in the handcart at ground level and lift it up to the height of the top of the truck (e.g. 3 to 3.5 metres higher) where it could be more easily manoeuvred for tipping. The pulley structure must be flexible and movable (e.g. best if it can be quickly affixed to a lamp post or a tree) so it can be moved to different trucks for the same purpose and relieve the risk of theft when not attended to.

Any advice, comments, questions would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back