Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pulling wire on several rollers with a back tension [Simulation] 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vain

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2014
MY
Hi engineers,

Could i have your ideas/opinions on how to simulate following case:
Im trying to simulate an initially straight flexible wire, that going through several rollers, in vice versa position (top and bottom) with a back tension on the wire to keep it under tension.
Attached is the picture for the scenario.

Im a beginner in Abaqus simulation and having a bit of knowledge in fea fundamentals.
A step by step methodology will be very helpful.

Thank you in advance.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d503a570-086b-4747-900c-3adb8479bd3c&file=Killing_roller.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The question raises many more questions in my mind: What are the ultimate vs. immediate goals of this modeling exercise? Do you wish to model the whole thing with all rollers or do you care about just one U over one roller? Will 2D analysis work? What sort of experimental data do you have to validate the results of your model against? What sort of 'high quality' input do you have available? Do you have experts around you to help you out? How much time do you have?

Your modeling strategy will depend on the answers to such questions and each strategy will have its own set of challenges. So, as you can see, the answer is: It depends :)

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Hi IceBreakerSours,

Thank you for your time looking at this thread [bigsmile]. This is my first post so i could be missing several important things in posting a good question.

To start off, the rollers are called "Killing Roller".
It functions to break any defect wire (surface pores, indention, or bad mechanical properties) that cannot sustained the "load" received from the rollers when passing through it. The "load" applied on wire by the rollers is 35% of the wire breaking strength. The wire start in a bobbin with a break tension and pulled by a winding drum passing through the Killing Roller.

My goal is find out the optimum roller size to make the Killing Roller function efficiently. Thus to analyse on variable roller size and see the stress pattern. Im also thinking about focusing on one U over one roller to ease the analysis.
Experimentally, Im kinda confuse on what parameter to compare with the analysis outcomes as i could only do experiment of variable size roller. Currently im doing without any expertise help. This will be my learning stage for the moment.

Any additional information required, I am gladly to hear.
Thanks[smile2].

I get the high-level background and what you want. However, here is the reality: You do not know have a strong understanding of your input space (boundary conditions and material), do not know what you are targeting as output for validation, and do not have a strong understanding of the black-box in the middle.

Talk to your supervisor because this could easily turn into a black hole.

Are you new to this forum? If so, please read these FAQs:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back