Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pulsation stabilizer for progressive cavity pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpha0125

Chemical
Mar 2, 2015
US
How do we size the pulsation stabilizer for progressive cavity pump? When i contacted vendor they ask me for the bore and stroke information. It is PD pump but does not have piston.
Sorry if this is the dumb question but i am recently graduated, new hire engineeer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I thought the same thing. The progressive cavity pumps are almost pulsationless. However, Desgin review team does not know much about the progressive cavity pumps. I was trying to double check.
Thank you all for your help.

Google: "progressive cavity pump pulsation damper"
You will find a lot of information including an Eng-Tips discussion in 2011!

Walt

First, the pump is called a Progressing Cavity Pump, not Progressive. Second, they don't need pulsation dampners.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

The inventor of the pump was named René Moineau. The firm that he founded, PCM uses the words progressing and progressive interchangeably to describe this pump. There is no reason to be pretentious.

moyno_uhflhs.jpg

The way the pump works is the cavities progress up the shaft. It is not progressive. It is progressing. I simply hate descriptive language being diluted by dullards who have never heard the proper term so they assume that it is actually a more common term. If that is pompous then I despair for our profession.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual. Galileo Galilei, Italian Physicist

"There is no reason to be pretentious."
" If that is pompous then I despair for our profession"

I fear for our profession when some cannot distinguish between being pretentious and being pompous.

As my kids would say, LOL.

Oh goody, what fun. I hope you guys are just as happy when a client says "the compressor is going from 2 psi to 20 psi and the temp is too low" Or "The flow rate is 100 CFM at 200 psi" etc. As the language gets less precise, the ability to diagnose problems, design equipment, or optimize an operation gets progressively more difficult.

Laugh all you want boys, but if we don't expect and demonstrate precision no one else will either. As for me? I'll accept my role as the butt of this particular joke and back away quietly.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Laugh all you want boys, but if we don't expect and demonstrate precision no one else will either. As for me? I'll accept my role as the butt of this particular joke and back away quietly."

If you're calling for everyone to demonstrate precision, best start with oneself, no?

In German they're called Exzenterschneckenpumpe, which would translate as excentric screw pump, which to me always sounds a bit dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back