Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pulse Output 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenelec

Electrical
Mar 9, 2011
CA
I am trying to create a spec for a power meter installation. We want to be able to remotely monitor the power consumption through an existing on site controls system. The meter that has been purchased is an ITRON Sentinel power meter. The only communication output capable of working with the existing system would be the pulse output from the meter. My question is how to interface the meter's pulse output and the control system? Does anyone have any good info/resources on pulse output.

From what I was able to find it is basically a square wave where each pulse represents a value of Wh multiplied by a certain factor, ie. 1 pulse is 1Wh. I am not a controls expert but would this mean that if 1 pulse occurs in an hour the consumption is 1Wh, 1000 pulses per hour is 1kwh? I would assume that you need some time range to determine the actual consumption but nothing I have read states this. As well I can't seem to find anywhere that specs a mode of interface. Would it be just a 18awg pair cable? twisted/shielded/unshielded? cat5? 2 conduct? Thanks in advance for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The pulse is a consumption unit, meaning 1 pulse = ? kWh

You do not need any time range to determine the actual consumption of ENERGY. The pulses will give you the consumed energy. However, if you require the RATE of energy consumption, then you'll need the time base.

You may find that the KYZ output is coded and does not at all output pulses that you can count. That happened to me in several cases. You then need to sense the blinking LED in the front. You can do that with any photo transistor and a suitable pull-up resistor. Ten kohms and 5 V works well.

Gunnar Englund
--------------------------------------
Half full - Half empty? I don't mind. It's what in it that counts.

Depending on the distance between the devices,
Would it be just a 18awg pair cable? - Yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back