Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pultruded FRP Grating

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelTXCive

Civil/Environmental
Jul 24, 2016
US
I'm curious to see how people call out FRP gratings on their plans.

I'm very familiar with steel grating and it's easy to call out on the plans: "HDG Type 19-4 Grating with 1 1/2" bearing bars" etc. etc..

Once you get into the FRP and plastics, it seems to get more complicated; and it seems there are a lot of proprietary products on the market.

The grating I found that will work is "McNichols MS-I-6515 Duradek."

I'm not sure I can call out a specific manufacturer on this plan set, so I'm looking for a generic callout/specification.

Thank you in advance.

Joel

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've always called out a specific manufacturer. Contractor sends in an RFI to sub the product if they want. You have different profiles, mechanical and chemical properties to deal with, so other than specifying the load carrying capacity required and chemical/UV resistivity required, I think you need to spec the product.

We do this in our specifications. Call out:
[ul]
[li]Depth[/li]
[li]Bearing Bar Spacing[/li]
[li]Bearing bar thickness[/li]
[li]Minimum Weight[/li]
[/ul]
The weight is very important. These suppliers have a million models, spacings and bearing bar shapes. They love to say, "this will hold the posted load" or "a tee shaped bar will do the same as an I bar" The only way to negotiate in their wheelhouse is the weight. I like 1 1/2-inch or 2-inch bearing bars, 5/8 inch thick at 1.2 inch spacing. They're very heavy. The manufacturers would rather have a big markup on the lighter grating.

We specified these notes on a recent pedestrian bridge. For this client, we were advised to be as general as possible with the specifications. But realistically, there were only about 2 suppliers on the market who could satisfy these.

Capture_sh2az8.png

and I add a note that the EOR is responsible for securing the FRP grating to provide lateral restraint as required for stability of the stair stringers and deck beams.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back