Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump Back Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmaxwell

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2013
US
I am in the process of specifying a oil pump back tank, pump, and motor. Flow rate will be (20-25)gpm. Oil flows from the machine and an electronic level switch in the tank starts and stops the pump. Tank size is (16 x 16)max x 20H. The pump will cycle frequently. What do I specify in the way of a motor & pump that can handle starting and stopping frequently?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Frequently is a meaningless term - would you be happy if a motor suppler offered a motor that can start and stop frequently?
For the motor you need to specify, voltage, single or 3phase, speed, power required, how often is frequently, the run time, ambient temp. The pump doesn't care how often it stops and starts.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

My question was regarding what motor specification defines how frequently a motor starts and stops. Duty cycle is the term I was looking for. I found the ratings on another site. I'm all set.

Would you care to share that with everyone. The forum is two way information.

If the "pump cycles frequently this tells me the pump is too big, but otherwise artisi has the details you need. The key issue is number of starts per hour and time between starts for the motor. Define that in your data sheet and you should be ok.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back