Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pump Control: How to determine if motor is in standby/run/rut in the PLC control logic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardcoreLearnee22

Electrical
Feb 15, 2016
US
Hello All,

Thank you for reading my post. I'm attempting to figure out how to determine whether a pump is in standby, run, or rut in the PLC control logic for a water management system. The pump motor is interlocked with the discharge valve so the pump must turn on before the valve begins to open. Since the pump will experience an inrush of water from the reservoir, it must constantly be pumping water while its running. If that's the case, how can it be in standby mode?

In addition, I am not familiar with the rut status of a motor. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean it's running but not transmitting energy to the water? If someone could define that for me, I would be extremely grateful. In addition, I do not understand how the PLC can know if the motor is in rut without sensing a current or voltage. The only switches I have access to is the running switch from the motor controller and the open and closed limit switch of the discharge valve. I'm almost done with this project and I just need a bit of a push forward to figure out this logic, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

In case it's relevant, I'm using TIA portal version 13 step 7, PLC sim version 13 and WinCC step 7 version 13.

Much Appreciated,[bigsmile]
Hardcore_Learnee22

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What the heck is "rut" mode? I know what rutting usually means, but I've never heard that applied to pumping!

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

Ah! I think I got it thanks to flexoprinting's post.

Not "rut" control, RTU control! As in Remote Telemetry Unit, a common term used in SCADA systems. Even niw, my spell checker keeps wanting to change RTU to rut! Makes sense now.

Standby in pump control simply means the pump is receiving power and is ready to be energized. In other words the line and control power is available, the controller is not faulted, and nobody left the disconnect switch open (people often forget that one if there is a disconnect down stream of the controller). All of this info is sent to the SCADA (PLC) via sensors or even just contact closures on the various devices.

RTU mode is simpler, it's usually just a Normally Open auxiliary contact on the motor controller that closes when the controller is running the motor.

RTU mode is typically a contact from a selector switch on the controller door where the local operator can select "Local - Off - Remote" operation. In Local, the operator takes control manually, Off is off, Remote is an Enable contact of the switch that signals the PLC that the SCADA system is in control.

"You measure the size of the accomplishment by the obstacles you had to overcome to reach your goals" -- Booker T. Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back