Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pump for HCl 30%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farookengg

Mechanical
Dec 7, 2016
SA
I need to select a Acid dosing pump (HCl 30%) for regenration of cation exchanger in demin plant. Capacity of the pump is 4300 LPH @ 5 barg discharge Pressure, we have checked for diaphragm pump with PVDF liquid end, but maximum flow per head is 2400 LPH & we need to consider double head pump, which is costly, hence please let me know if Non Metallic Sealless pump can give the desired discharge pressure as stated above. We dont want to go for metallic pump due to high cost as MOC will be Hastelloy for HCl.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why not Polypropylene? You did not mention the temperature but up to 40 °C PP is still a good choice and much cheaper than PVDF. Not sure what diaphragm pump manufactureres you have checked but ABEL and FELUWA might be worth to look at. I do not think that they must offer a double head pump for 4300 l/h as they usually manufacture much bigger pumps.

If you need to generate 5 barg from an atmospheric pressure tank, you need a positive displacement pump, which will be somewhat costly because your flow is high (20 gpm). A plastic-lined centrifugal magdrive pump would have trouble generating your required discharge pressure- you'd likely need a couple of them in series, and then you'd need flow controls rather than the much cheaper option of a VFD to control the flow of a PD pump. Not sure if lined turbine pumps exist- if so, the lining probably won't last long term. An all plastic air diaphragm pump might be an option depending on how tightly you need to control the flow. No metallic pump for this service will either be cost-effective or the correct selection for this service.

Is 5 barg a real requirement ?? Or is it a number just thrown in by a Project Manager ...

The plastic Pumps used in this service typically never see this kind of head requirement, therefore no high pressure plastic pumps are offered for this kind of acid service

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Its an ideal application for a Polypropylene lined magnetic drive pump that we manufacture, PP is fine up to 60'C or we can go PVDF and/or ETFE and PFA - not going to turn this post into a sales pitch however, so...

If we can be of assistance, please do get in touch mentioning this post on Eng-tips.

a.fenn@cdrpumps.co.uk

Cheers

Ash Fenn

MDP would have high CAPEX/OPEX and required too much instruments. Morover it work only with clean liquids without solids in suspension. Get in touch with supplier with all details of operation.

A well phrased question has answers in itself!!!

I would question the statement of higher cost for MDP compatred to API Shashanturbomachine, we supply them often and a simple power monitor is used to protect the pump when the tanker empties out. It is extremely unlikely for Sulphuric acid to have solids present as it is supplied clean from the manufacturer/distributor.

Ash Fenn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back