Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump jack water/oil production

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unotec

Chemical
Jun 13, 2006
CA
Good day,

I have two wells (small producers) in the exact same zone, just a few kms apart.
The oldest one (by 2yrs) is producing 95% water @ 10.5 strokes per minute. The youngest one about 18% water @ 3.5 strokes per minute.
Do I run the risk of affecting the production of the oldest one if I slow it down to try to drop more water? Would this be advisable?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm afraid the older well may be producing at higher water cut because that's what wells do as they are produced: they water out....

There is a possibility that you are actually coneing the water up: pulling water upwards by producing too much from the well. If this is true (and it's a big if) then reducing the pump rate may reduce the water cut. The main risk of dropping the pump speed of the older pump is that you'll obviously reduce the amount of fluid produced: you'll produce less water but if the water cut stays the same you'll also produce less oil. Or the water may be coming from one set of perforations at a higher production index than the oil is being produced from, and reducing the production may increase the water cut...

Suck it and see- you can always increase the pump rate again!

That is exactly what I did. Unfortunately it involved changing the motor, as the one I had did not have a VFD.

I'll wait a few days and see what happened.

Thanks a lot

You should not have to go to the expense of ordering a new motor and the large majority of pumpjacks do not use VFD's. I would simple suggest changing out the motor or gear box sheave. It is just a simple "gear" ratio that will change the speed of the unit.

Sheaves are cheap! They are much easier to change out and you don't need an electrician.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back