Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump Modeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ar9

Civil/Environmental
Feb 25, 2013
US
All,

I am modelling a basin and have basic existing pump information. I have ESTIMATED the pump curves and think that will work, however, for some reason I cannot select when the "Pump Off" elevation. It does not let me click on it and I am not sure why.

Also, is there a way to have an outlet other than a "PUMP" option in hydrocad, that will allow me to insert a fixed outflow when the headwater is at certain elevations? e.g. Constant Outflow starts when HW reaches X elevation and same outflow stops when HW reaches Y elevation?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To enable the "off" elevation, change the pond routing procedure from Storage-Indication to Dynamic-Storage-Indication. The DSI routing procedure is required to handle the hysteresis in the pump operating curve. A pump is the only outlet device which supports this unique switching behavior.

BTW, you should be able to enter the pump rating curve as supplied by the manufacturer. I'm not sure why you has to "estimate" anything. HydroCAD adjust for the head and frictional losses, so you don't need to make these adjustments by hand.

For further details click "Help" on the pump edit screen and see

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Peter,

Thanks for your answer. I have changed the routing procedure and now I have the pump off available. As far as the estimate for the pump curve, the reason behind this is because I am analyzing existing pumps that were installed in 1978 and the owner does not have pump curves. I have contacted the manufacturer regarding these pumps but it is a local manufacturer who does not have records of these pumps, therefore, I estimated the pump curves to have the design peak flow read by HydroCAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back