Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump Outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

mherr78

Civil/Environmental
Jan 9, 2003
US
I was trying to model a pump outlet today for an existing basin. I am strictly in the hypothetical part of the process, meaning, I am just trying to get a rough idea of how my basin will respond to a pumping rate before I start looking for a suitable pump.

I tried to use the pump rating curves that come with the software, but they cannot be imported. One, they are in CFS, not GPM, and two, the columns in the CSV files are in the wrong order. So, I took a sample 6 inch pump, reversed the column order, and converted to GPM. Once I did this, I could import the file, but then I got an error because apparently, the flow must increase as the head increases. It seems some of these files have a decrease in flow as the head approaches one foot, so I do not know if the files have errors, or what. This has really irritated me, because I thought I could have spent 30 minutes playing around with some scenarios, and its taken an hour or so.

A few questions:

1) Does anyone know if there are good files available to download?
2) Does anyone have links to downloadable pump rating curves?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

HydroCAD includes a sample pump project, which includes a couple of hypothetical rating curves. But there are no predefined pump curves, so I'm not sure what you're tying to import. You need to define your own curve for each specific pump, and the easiest way is generally to enter the values on the pump screen.

If can be more specific about the curves you're trying to import perhaps I can be of more help.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Well, when I go to Program Files --> HydroCAD --> Outlets, there are two folders full of .csv files, titled by what I would assume are the pump manufacturer and pump size. Maybe i am mistaken, but they seem like pump rating curves, as they give a discharge as it relates to head.

I think you're looking in the "Outlets" folder, which contains rating curves designed to be used with a user-defined outlet. These are not pump curves and will not work with the pump screen.

If you looking for sample pump setups, try the preinstalled project called "Pump Examples".

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back