Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump Soleplate vs Mounting Plate 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

p6g2p6

Mechanical
Jul 28, 2021
CA
Hi Everyone, could someone please explain to me the difference between a soleplate and a mounting plate, when referring to the API standards. I've been reading through API 686 and there are different grouting requirements for mounting plates compared to soleplates, but I can't find clear definitions that explain the difference.
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1.4.30 mounting plate: A device used to attach equipment to concrete foundations; includes both baseplates and
soleplates. ( API RP 686 )

soleplate—The member that interfaces to or between the machine and the supporting structure. (ACI 351.3R-04 )

The following excerpt is from API 610.

pump_mit_soleplate_sj5nkw.jpg

Not to know is bad;
not to wish to know is worse.

NIGERIAN PROVERB

I don't know the answer for sure but I wanted to check if I understand it correctly:

Is it the case that sole plate is always just above concrete / grout, while mounting plate is a more generic term?

The Soleplate is typically embedded with Grout and anchored by embedded bolts to the concrete foundation struction. The machine Base Plate is typically steel or cast iron, and it is a rigid part of the machine that rests upon the sole plate with steel shims for leveling and alignment. The Base Plate is bolted to the Sole Plate. The Base Plate allows the machine to be installed, leveled, aligned, and removed while the Sole Plate remains in place. Ocasionally a Sole Plate is poorly installed, becomes corroded, or loosens and needs repair.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back