Pump to lift water vertically as well as horizontaly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarang03

Electrical
Sep 13, 2017
IN
Hello all,
I need to lift water from a dam near my farm.
The location from where dam water is allowed to be lifted is around 800-900 meters from my farm. My fatm land is around 40 to 50 feet above the water level.
Is it possible to install a pump in my farm and lift water from dam? If yes which type of pump will be suitable and approximately what hp capacity? I am looking for water flow of around 40-50 liters per minute.
I can not install pump at dam because of security reasons. I am ok if water flow need to be reduced a bit. Please advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sadly not. Even with a perfect vacuum you can only lift about 33 ft. Max practical"lift" height is 25 ft and that assumes you're at sea level. Any significant elevation and it's even less as all you have pushing the water up hill is atmospheric pressure.

So if you can't locate a pump within 25 ft elevation of the water level then I'm afraid you will have to get water from somewhere else.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Thank you littleinch. The dam is 343 meters above sea level.
I read somewhere that jet pump can lift water several hundred feet. Can that work here?
One suggestion i have got locally is
I need to install reverse valve on my pipeline at source. Then fill the pipe completely with water by installing temporary pump at source. Once filled i can remove pump at source and install a pump at my farm and lift water.
Will that work?

A jet pump, or deep well pump is usually good for 90 ft depth, but you will have to run two pipes from the pump to the dam rather than one and you will have to pump both ways for almost a kilometer. I do not think that will work.

It is feasible to use a jet pump (eductor) for this operation.
It will require 2 pipes, 1 for the pressure supply from the pump to the eductor, 1 for return flow from the eductor to the pump.
There is a wealth of information on the net, suggest you review it and come back with questions.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Sarang
What you are proposing in response to Little Inch's post won't work either. Even if you fill the line initially as you propose you still cannot lift the water the distance you propose. The Jet pump eductor as Artisi proposes might work and might be the online option if you cannot physically put a pump at source.

Regards
Ashtree
"Any water can be made potable if you filter it through enough money"

Sarang,

Let's go back to basics here.

The highest level you can practically "lift" water from a water source like a dam is around 7m or 25 ft to the inlet of a pump.

The jet pumps referred to in these posts are just pumps. How you drive the pump, whether it is by high pressure water (jet pump), air ( an AODD or air turbine) or electric ( submersible , inline submersible or above ground) this is your limiting factor.

So you really need to see why you cannot install a pump in the dam.

One option if you can get some sort of access close to the dam is to install an inline submersible pump inside your pipe ( maybe a bit bigger than you would normally use) and then include the power cable and lifting rope inside so that you can retrieve it from outside the fenceline if it breaks down??

A jet pump can pump water with quite a large head, but it cannot "lift" water more than 25ft from the surface to the inlet of the jet pump.

Your other suggestion won't work either if your pump inlet is more than 25ft above water level.

You wrote: 'I can not install pump at dam because of security reasons'.

Why? Maybe there are more simple ways to get an acceptable risk/security level than you have imagined?

You may install a submersible pump in a lockable vault near the dam. Depends on the soil conditions. Where is the power source?

That's a good point - security of what - the pump or the dam?

There are many ways to secure a pump inside the pipe or under the water, but if the dam owners won't let you put your pump there then there's nothing much we can do.

A multi-stage jet pump like the Goulds HSJ can lift water from 200-230' and still build 30/50 pressure. You will need to get the ejector and foot valve in the water at the end of two pipes, but it will work. I would think if you could get access to put the two pipe ejector in the water it wouldn't be much of a stretch to put in a submersible instead?

"A multi-stage jet pump like the Goulds HSJ can lift water from 200-230' "

No it can't - it's physically impossible. What it can do is "pump" 200 to 230 ft head.

Big difference.

A "jet pump" for one is a lousy name and misleading, what it really is an eductor or ejector - a stationary device consisting of a nozzle and diffuser that uses high pressure flow thru' the nozzle to entrain additional flow in a mixing section for discharge thru the diffuser, this can be installed wherever is suitable for the application, and the driving unit can be mounted at a convenient remote location. The motive force can be water, air or steam- as this is the pump forum we will talk water.
As pointed out to the OP earlier, there is plenty of reference on the net if interested.
To the OP, if interested we can advise but need a lot more info for a meaningful answer.
As LittleInch has said, it is pumped
not lift, although in a waterwell situation it is quite often referred to as lift.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

I agree you can't "suck,lift, or draw" water from more than 24'-33' deep. But when the pump and motor are above ground, the pump is technically "lifting" water even though it may be using a two pipe ejector to do so. The two pipe ejector and foot valve will not be physically much smaller than a submersible pump, which I prefer. So if you can get access, the only difference is the sub would have one pipe and an electric wire, where the jet would have two pipes with an ejector and foot valve.

You forgot "pull" 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back