Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump type suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

yimc

Petroleum
Jul 4, 2003
US
Hi all,

I have an application for boiler refeed that we are designing and require a small booster pump. We have high TDS (not exactly sure what the number is as yet though as it is going through a settling tank), and a high solids content. The fluid is water, the temperature is 85C (185F) and the flow requirement is 5gpm (30m3/day). Pi = 15 psi, Pout = 200 psi.

I am considering a PC pump to move the fluid, but am modestly concerned about the temperature. The client does not want to lose the heat content of the fluid, so any cooling is out. We have considered a centrifugal pump, but discarded that idea because of the solids content. So...

Is a PC pump applicable for this procedure?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The temperature is not a problem for the PC pump but the solids can be (high wear). Hard to say if it will or not without knowing particle size, solids concentration and kind of solids (sand?). A piston diaphragm pump can easily handle the solids and the temperature is not a problem neither but it will be more expensive than a PC pump. My guess is around 10 k$ for a piston diaphragm pump while a PC pump should be half of it. If you consider a PC pump make sure it is slow running because of the solids concentration.

I've always taken TDS as Total Dissolved Solids. What does it stand for in your application and do you know the level/concentration?

As a chem eng/metallurgist the first part of any answer I give starts with "It Depends"

If you have a settling tank then it sounds like you have TSS not a TDS problem.

If you can tell us what TSS (and/or TDS) consists of (concentration, hardness, reactivity etc), you might have a chance of someone being able to give you a better answer.

A PC pump (I assume you mean progressive cavity) should be good for that sort of service even though it sounds rather odd that you are pumping this sort of fluid into a boiler....

If a vendor says it is OK at the temperature on the data sheet then I can't see any reason to doubt him. 5GPM is relatively low flow but make sure you have enough length on your skid - they are very long things.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back