Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pumped Water Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

swazimatt

Civil/Environmental
Aug 19, 2009
NZ
I have designed and EPAnet modelled lots of gravity water networks but am now faced with my first flat-earth water reticulation that requires booster pump(s)
The development will ultimately be made up of 4 large blocks of industrial land (no high water use) that surrounds a runway. The development is supplied by a low-pressure municipal supply. The current situation is that three of the blocks are developed with their own reservoir and pump to their internal networks. (shown in green)

We will be developing a new block that is about 130Ha and one of our requirements is to ringmain water connecting all 4 blocks. What i am unsure of is do we continue the status quo of adding a reservoir and pump for the new block or is it worthwhile upgrading one of the pumpstations to pressurise the ring main and all the internal networks in one go?

I am currently building the epanet network and i suspect that I may find that to create adequate pressure (3bar) at the furthest extent of the network may result in the pressure closest to the tank being too high which would then make sense to have 4 pumps and 4 networks.
Fire storage may become a sticking point as we would need fire volume at each network ... unless we can somehow link all the pumps for fire flow.

Just asking if it is possible to just boost the network inline? so go with Option 2 but have an inline pump boosting the pressure at each block? I cannot see this working as the pump will be sucking and pushing at the same time?

Any comments, guidance, or reference material will be greatly appreciated

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1724190660/tips/scan_mzf_2024-08-21-09-28-01_nvdnoa.pdf[/url]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thinking a bit more about it we will not be able to create a ring main approach without building a complete new ring main as the existing system did not cater for it and we would be connecting off the end of the networks. I have highlighted the existing low pressure municipal supply in pink and proposed connection pipework in green.
I have shown an option 3 in having in-line pumps (and reservoirs) in each block in red

[URL unfurl="true"]https://res.cloudinary.com/engineering-com/image/upload/v1724192907/tips/scan_mzf_2024-08-21-10-22-03_iz4acs.pdf[/url]

Swazi, You have been posting at Eng-Tips for some time now. Don't you think it's time you learned how to use the "Post Image" feature? It would save me a lot of time doing that for you. Please try posting your images using proper image formats, not pdfs. Thank You

Click on this camera icon, then search for the image you want to post. Click and post. Pretty easy, right?
Screenshot_20240821-081637_Brave_miczms.jpg

Your last image.

Screenshot_20240821-081300_Drive_bn56v2.jpg

Looks reasonable. Try designing it like that and see exactly what equipment and pipe sizes you need. Do the same for other options. Then we can compare and decide what would be best. Right now you do not have enough detail to make any decisions.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

When you post an image it needs to be a jpg file otherwise it will load as a link still.

PDFs need to be converted to jpg.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Probably he first took a picture of his sketch, then converted the jpg to pdf making extra work for both him and us. Just post the jpg.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

one could say that all these unhelpful posts about how to post an image is more work than necessary! one click and it opens in another tab vs 3 posts ... there must be a global recession with engineers having this much free time ;-) (sorry for not using the emoticon button!)

That's OK. But it's a two way street. Now I think I won't waste any more of my time opening your stuff and making it easier for you to get your free, high quality advice from the excellent engineers you can find here. If they want to waste their time, it's their money, but as for me, I'm done.

That is fine, I let the first comment slide (as that was exactly how i had entered the info. if the format was wrong it should not allow the file to be uploaded? like most forums). But when others jump on the bandwagon i am not going to kowtow to what is effectively an attempt at cyberbullying and baseless assumptions, just for forum information. In my experience "excellent engineers" are passionate about their profession and do not require purple star accolades for sharing their information and knowledge.

I will continue to ask questions and provide responses on this forum without judgement or expectation, you guys do what you want

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back