Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pumping methanol and low viscosity fluids 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonzoboy

Chemical
Oct 24, 2005
US
Does anyone have experience or recommendations on equipment selection for the pumping of methano? We are looking at a process to burn methanol and need to deliver approximately 5,000 gallons/hr, up to a pressure of about 400 psig outlet.

What kind of pumps, metering, etc. would be used in such a case? (We have experience with pumping fuel oil, but not such low-viscosity high vapor pressure liquids)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Continuous, intermittant? For that flow and pressure you could look at a Sundyne. For a PD style pump, I'll defer to the other members, don't have a lot of experience with them for these type of an application. Sundyne's efficiency is usually lower which is one downside with both your power cost and motor size required.

The vapor pressure isn't really a problem other than ensuring you provide sufficient NPSHA to the pump when you do the piping/storage design.

For a meter my first choice would likely be an orifice meter but your accuracy requirements is a key point which you haven't mentioned.

The viscosity's a concern if you were thinking about a gearpump. I'd recommend you steer clear of gearpumps for this service. If you do choose one, get a longevity guarantee for all the wear parts (in writing) before you spend the money. Otherwise you may be rebuilding pumps frequently.

The flow's high enough that a PD pump like a diaphragm metering pump large enough to do the job will cost you a fair bit of money. But they'll work reliably if you design the suction piping properly.

The Sundyne turbine pump mentioned is also an option, as would be a "side channel" multistage centrifical such as those used for boiler feedwater applications. But it is quite a high pressure and the efficiency will be poor in either case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back