Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pumping station design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pucp

Materials
Aug 6, 2001
FR
Hi, I am working in an irrigation project, and we have to design the pumping station (10 vertical turbine pumps and 1 in stdby. There are channels for water transportation from the river and we want to use the Hidraulic Institute Standards configuration for the sump with the same calculate values), so I will appreciate if anyone can give recommendation about pump station design (in this case water coming from rivers with vertical turbine pumps)(books, web pages with photos,articles will help). Right now I am working in the sump design and I am using "Hidraulic Institute Standards", "Sulzer Centrifugal Pump Handbook" and "Pumping Station Design" by Sanks. One of my main concerns is about using or not using separating walls, because I know that sometimes is worse to use them. Other concern is to know more about vortexes formation. These books recommends Model Tests of Intakes, does anyone have done something like this?, does this represents the real pumping station?. Finally if anyone knows about companies that have gate, check and butterfly valves ranging from 30" up to 60" or more. Thank you in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Pucp,

you are on the right way. If you use the recommendations from HI or the Sulzer Handbook you are on the save side. I am a Hydraulic engineer at the company Ruhrpumpen GmbH ( We often make proposal for pump sumps when we are offering pumps for these applications. To carry out model tests is only necessary if you are far away from the above mentioned recommendations. We have done this only one time in the past. It is expensive and takes time.
For my opinion I would use seperation walls. So you don't have an influence from one pump to the others. The flow will nearly the same in each chamber. But the design of of the channels before the chambers are also very important. Not too high velocities, not to large expansion angles etc.

Companies for large valves are: ERHARD,ADAMS, KROMBACH, VAG, MANNESMAN DEMAG. All these companies are located in Germany.

I hope this could help you.

Hi everybody
if anybody could assist me in the points and regulation regarding testing a pump for its Q-H diagrams in factory any codes and standard?

Hi everybody
if anybody could assist me in the points and regulation regarding testing a pump for its Q-H diagrams in factory any codes and standard?

the US Army Corps of Eng has a complete design manual on pump stations

then
EM 1110-2-3104 071 CECW-ED Structural and Architectural Design of Pumping Stations 30 Jun 89
EM 1110-2-3105 169 CECW-ET Mechanical and Electrical Design of Pumping Stations
could life be any easier....

when you get that big bonus, remember your friends in here Keep the wheels on the ground
Bob
showshine@aol.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back