Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pumps and Heat exchangers to handle Methyldiethanolamine (MDEA) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAA182

Mechanical
Jan 5, 2010
US
Can anyone point me to manufacturers of pumps and/or heat exchangers designed to Handle Methyldiethanolamine (MDEA) fluid with whom they have had good experience? Specifically we plan to use Dow's Ucarsol AP814 solvent in our application.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know nothing about heat exchangers. However, any major pump manufacturer should be able to quote a pump for this service. They should be familiar with this chemical and have no problems proposing a design. I would offer a few words of caution. Some material compatibility charts may indicate that carbon steel is acceptable for low temperature lean amine (MDEA). I would not agree. I would consider 316 SS (API material class A-8) as a minimum for this service. All of our lean amine pumps that were originally installed as carbon steel had to be changed out to stainless steel eventually. A pump manufacturer might quote carbon steel in order to be the low bid.

As a point of personal preference, I dislike questions that ask for a recommended manufacturer since it tends to encourage sales engineers to try and peddle their wares. It would be more appropriate to ask questions regarding pump configuration, materials of construction, NPSH considerations, etc.

Johnny Pellin

I would imagine any of the major triplex or quintuplex pump suppliers would be a good place to start for the pumps. Similarly, and of the major plate & frame suppliers would be a good place to start for the exchangers.

I fully agree with SS, regardless of whether the amine is rich or lean. If someone did bid carbon steel to be cost effective, I would equalize the bids and ask the guys who quoted SS to give me the reduction to go to CS, and the guys who quoted CS to give me the adder to go to SS.

Regards,

SNORGY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back